#NationalSelfieDay According to the English by Oxford Dictionaries, a selfie is defined as “a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media.”While selfies may have different connotations to different people, the presence of selfies in social media increase viewership and engagement. They give the sense of a one-on-one relationship with your individual client base. Think of it as putting a face on your business. When taking selfies for your business, consider these guidelines:
- Think about the angle. Photos from above tend to emphasize the eyes and make your neck look smaller.
- Be aware of your surroundings, photo bombs are not ideal. And no bathroom selfie should make its way to your business profile.
- Do not center yourself, have your eyes one third of the way down from the top and off to one side.
- Use natural sunlight, but avoid direct sunlight as it can be too harsh on facial features.
- Do not shoot too close to yourself in case you need to crop the image in any way.
- Think about your attire.
That said, there are places selfies are not appropriate. Keep the selfies for Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, but leave a more professional shot for LinkedIn. And please, please, keep your LinkedIn photo up to date. No one wants to look up a person and not recognize them at the face to face meeting.
Speaking of up to date, keep all of the pictures in your digital profile up to date. Besides being a good practice to continually add new content to your website from an engagement standpoint, it will increase your organic SEO because your followers will WANT to continually come back and see what has changed. And be sure to properly name your images, this too will help your SEO. Pictures are original content, just as much as words.
Continue to attract new viewers and keep current viewers returning to your social media platform through the use of both selfies and pictures. If you need help with your social media platform and keeping your pictures up to date, contact us. We can help you to get you pointing in the right direction!
Over 15+ years of experience in providing technical solutions and support to allow you to focus on your business.